• Source country for women and children subjected to sex trafficking in other countries including Thailand, Malaysia, China, Bangladesh, India, and South Korea as well as the Middle East.
• Rohingya girls from Myanmar forced into prostitution in Bangladesh.
• Violence and societal discrimination against women
• Thailand-based Karen Women’s Organization documented about 4,000 cases of abuse against women in Karen State over the past few years including rape, killings, torture, and forced labor by government troops.
• Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers is a coalition of sex worker groups and projects working on issues of HIV and human rights for female, male and transgender sex workers across Asia and the Pacific.
Sources: U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011