• 200,000 and 400,000 women engaged in prostitution in Spain, according to media reports.
• More than 3,000 entertainment establishments dedicated to prostitution.
• 90% of those engaged in prostitution in Spain are victims of forced prostitution, controlled by organized networks.
• Destination and transit country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking.
• Victims originate from Eastern Europe, Latin America, East Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
• 9.6% of women report intimate partner and/or not-intimate-partner sexual and/or physical violence in their lifetime.
• 71 women were murdered as a result of domestic violence in 2010.
• Immigrant women remained the group most vulnerable to gender violence.
• Indignant Prostitutes Campaign fights for rights.
• Hetaira Collective works to protect the rights of prostitutes.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011; ITN news April 28, 2012