• 83,000 women annually suffered some sort of violence or abuse.
• Source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to sex trafficking and forced labor.
• Women and children trafficked to urban centers for commercial sexual exploitation.
• Ecuadorian women are subjected to forced prostitution in Colombia, Peru, and Western Europe.
• Ecuador is a destination country for Colombian, Peruvian, and to a lesser extent, Chinese women and girls subjected to sex trafficking.
• Child sex tourism occurs mostly in urban areas and in tourist destinations, such as Tena and the Galapagos Islands.
• In Ecuador, adolescent girls reporting sexual violence in school identified teachers as the perpetrator in 37 percent of cases.
• 31% of women in Ecuador report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 12% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
• 9.6% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
Sources: United Nations Development Fund for Women; UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011