• 43,803 cases of sexual abuse and other forms of physical violence reported in 2010.
• Source, transit, and destination country for men, women and children subjected to sex trafficking and forced labor.
• Guatemalan women and children are found in forced labour and child prostitution within the country, as well as in Mexico and the United States.
• Boys from Guatemala and other Central American countries found in commercial sexual exploitation, particularly in Guatemala City and on Guatemala’s borders with Honduras and Mexico.
• Destination country for women and girls from El Salvador, Honduras, Colombia, and Nicaragua, in forced and child prostitution.
• Child sex tourism prevalent in certain tourist areas.
• Child sex tourists predominately come from Canada, Germany, Spain, and the United States.
• 8.6% of women in Guatamala report intimate partner physical violence in the 12 months prior to 2005.
• 3.5% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in in the 12 months prior to 2005.
• Leonel Dubon the driving force behind the creation of the NGO Children’s Refuge House (El Refugio de la Ninez) to provide a safe residential setting for underage female victims of sex trafficking.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data; Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011