• Source and, to a lesser extent, a transit and destination country for women and girls subjected to sex trafficking.
• Women are subjected to forced prostitution in Turkey, Russia, Cyprus, Bulgaria, the UAE, Kosovo, Israel, Indonesia, Malaysia, Lebanon, Italy, Greece, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and Romania.
• Victims of forced prostitution found in Chisinau include Ukrainian women and Moldovan girls and women from rural areas.
• Victims from Azerbaijan are subjected to forced labor in Moldova.
• Reported incidents of men from the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Turkey, and possibly Italy and Greece, traveling to Moldova for the purpose of sex tourism.
• Breakaway region of Transnistria outside central government’s control and remained a source for victims of both forced labor and forced prostitution.
• Rape a problem.
• 24.1% of women in Moldova report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 4% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
• 26.6% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner physical violence in their lifetime.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011