• Source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking.
• Peruvian women and girls are recruited and coerced into prostitution in nightclubs, bars, and brothels in Peru’s urban areas and mining centers.
• Peruvian women subjected to forced prostitution in Ecuador, Spain, Italy, Japan, and the United States, and forced labor in Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, and Brazil.
• Destination country for Ecuadorian, Bolivian, and Chinese women and girls subjected to sex trafficking.
• Child sex tourism is present in areas such as Cuzco and Lima.
• Violence against women and girls, including rape, spousal abuse, and sexual, physical, and mental abuse a problem.
• Police and judicial insensitivity contributed to a societal attitude of permissiveness toward abuse of females.
• 31.2% of women in Peru report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 8% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
La Asociación Civil de Trabajadoras Sexuales (The Civil Association of Sex Workers) – organized raise awareness of rights violations and to fight for those rights.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011; Sex Work Activists, Allies, and You