• Source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking.
• Reports of exploitation of children, including child prostitution in large Russian cities and forced begging.
• Reports of Russian women being subjected to forced prostitution abroad.
• Russian women were reported as victims of sex trafficking in Northeast Asia, Europe, and throughout the Middle East.
• Violence against women and children, including domestic violence, a significant problem
• 21% of women in the three provinces of the Russian Federation report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• Spousal or acquaintance rape was not widely perceived as a problem by society or law enforcement authorities.
• Smolensk-based Center for Women’s Support
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011