• Source and transit country for men, women, and children subjected to sex trafficking.
• Rural children brought to the capital, Lome exploited in prostitution.
• Togolese women fraudulently recruited for employment in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, the United States, and Europe and forced into prostitution.
• Domestic violence against women widespread problem.
• Police generally did not intervene in abusive situations. Women were not aware of the formal judicial mechanisms designed to protect them.
• NGOs were active in educating women on their rights.
Sources: U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report, U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report