• 39 women and girls died from domestic violence in 2010.
• Source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to sex trafficking and forced labor.
• Costa Rican women and children are subjected to sex trafficking within the country.
• Women and girls from Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, and other Latin American countries have been identified in Costa Rica as victims of sex trafficking and forced domestic service.
• Child sex tourism is a serious problem, particularly in the provinces of Guanacaste, Limon, Puntarenas, and San Jose.
• Child sex tourists arrive mostly from the United States, Germany, Sweden, and Italy.
• 33% of women report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 36% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
• 47% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 41% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011