• Women and children subjected to forced prostitution in brothels on the borders of Cambodia, China, and Laos.
• Some eventually sent to third countries, including Thailand and Malaysia. Some Vietnamese women are forced into prostitution in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and in Europe.
• Destination for child sex tourism with perpetrators reportedly from Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, Australia, Europe, and the United States
• 32% of women in Vietnam report intimate partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 9.9% of women report sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.
• 35.2% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner physical violence in their lifetime.
• 10.8% of women report intimate partner and/or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
• 4.7% report abuse during pregnancy.
• Law prohibits using or threatening violence, taking advantage of a person who cannot act in self-defense, or resorting to trickery to have sexual intercourse against a person’s will.
• Agir pour les Femmes Situation Precaire implemented the project “Support women and children trafficked for sexual slavery” in Ho Chi Minh City since 2001.
• The East Meets West organization has programs to combat sexual trafficking in the Mekong Delta region of Viet Nam.
• Mekong Project to Combat Trafficking in Children and Women focuses on internal and cross-border trafficking in children and women for labor exploitation, including sexual exploitation.
Sources: UN Women Violence against Women Prevalence Data: Surveys by Country 2011; U.S. Department of State 2010 Human Rights Report; U.S. Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2011